Volunteering is one of the best ways to get involved and give something back to your community. It’s even more rewarding when the results of your volunteer efforts can be seen in the smiles of hundreds of girls who succeed in sports and life. As PowerPlay NYC continues to grow and implement new programs, we’re looking to increase the number of talented and dedicated people who can donate their time, experience and resources to educating and empowering the girls of New York City.
Volunteer activities are widespread and range from coordinating a sports and/or life skills program to fundraising, sponsorship, database management, special events, community outreach and more.
Time commitments from volunteers also varies widely, requiring as little as a few hours per week for a coach or guest speaker at an event to daily interaction for several months as a program volunteer or coordinator.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Sports coaches and officials - Do you have a sports background and coaching or officiating experience? PowerPlay's sport clinics and PowerPlay Days offer volunteers the opportunity to work directly with our participants and help develop their skills and enthusiasm for sport participation.
- Event assistance - Do you enjoy helping organize events and/or have a background in public relations, event management or sponsorship cultivation? PowerPlay has opportunities during the year to assist with fund raising event management as well as PowerPlay Symposiums for girls.
- STARWorks - Do you want to share your success secrets and help mentor a girl as she learns the ins and outs of the world of business? PowerPlay's STARWorks Site Visit Hosts facilitate a group visit by PowerPlay participants to their office and organizes the opportunity for the girls to learn about the business and meet other women who work there. STARWorks Internship mentors organize a mini internship at the conclusion of our Summer Leadership Academy so that Academy participants can put into practice all the workplace skills that they have learned and start gaining workplace experience as the first building block to a successful career.
- PowerPlayers Leadership Team - Are you interested in working with other young women to help PowerPlay expand its base of support and expand its programming? PowerPlay's Young Leadership Advisory Board meets several times during the year to strategize and develop PowerPlay's network of supporters.
- Board of Directors - Are you interested in sharing your professional expertise and leadership? PowerPlay's Board of Directors meet every other month to ensure that PowerPlay continues to realize its mission of educating and empowering girls through sports, teaching life skills and building self-confidence and self -esteem for life.
We welcome all volunteers! Are you right for PowerPlay NYC? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Did you play sports in high school and/or college?
- Do you have coaching experience in one or more sports?
- Do you have experience running girls’ groups or working with girls?
- Are you passionate about the positive impact sports can have on a young girl’s life?
- Are you a certified teacher, physical education or fitness instructor?
- Do you want to get involved in a great organization?
If you answered “yes” to any of the questions, then you might be the right person to bring your skills and talents to PowerPlay NYC and the girls it serves. Here’s how to get involved:
- Check out our Volunteer Opportunities
- Fill out the PowerPlay NYC volunteer application
- Attend a PowerPlay NYC volunteer orientation
- Volunteer as needed or desired based on your interest/time