Our SuperSTARS Leadership Academy (SSLA) Summer Cohort received VIP treatment from the Mets at Citi Field on August 11, 2021! The girls experienced a career exploration in sports panel session led by the Mets’ SheUnit (business resource group of women executives), along with their wonderful male allies (Mets President, Sandy Alderson and Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Donovan Mitchell). Our girls interacted with women from various functional areas of the team including the Mets’ Mental Health Coach, Nutritionist, VP of Ballpark Operations, Executive Director of Venue Services, Senior Manager of Corporate Partnerships, Manager of Ticketing and much more! Afterwards, the girls were treated to suite tickets to watch the Mets play the Nationals.
– PowerPlay’s own suite filled with swag
– A special visit from WNBA All-Star and Olympic Gold medalist, Tina Charles, who threw out the first pitch
– A visit from the Mets team owner, Alex Cohen
– Of course, the day would have not been complete without a visit from Mr. & Mrs. Met
– For many of our girls, this was their first time attending a professional baseball game
A few weeks later, PowerPlay was honoured on Citi Field with the Spirit Award! The support from organizations like the Mets is critical to our mission of advancing the lives of girls through sports, as well as advocating for equal rights for girls and women. Thank you again to the New York Mets for seeing the value in our efforts to empower girls!